1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2021 9:02 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking blueprints of 50' utility boat & 40' personnel boat

Philippe De Naveu Newbie

Hello, I'm an amateur model maker in Belgium and my next project is building the USS ENTERPRISE CVN-65. I'm building it with a full detailed hangar. Therefore, I need to build a hangar deck boat cradle with the US Navy 40' personnel boat and the US Navy 50' Utility boat. I'm a 3D designer too and I own a small 3D printer, so I can design and build these boats myself. I was asking myself if you could have those blueprints and share them with me.

• Re: Seeking blueprints of 50' utility boat & 40' personnel boat
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. De Naveu,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 12 record series in the Records of the Bureau of Ship (Record Group 19) that include engineering drawings and blueprints from as recently as the 1960s when the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) was launched. We also located 3 record series in the Records of the Naval Ship Systems Command (Record Group 344) pertaining to ship engineering drawings. For more information about the non-digitized plans, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additionally, we searched online and located the pamphlet Boats of the United States Navy, NAVSHIPS 250-452, 1967 that provides drawings of boats in use by the Navy at the time, including several types of 40’ personnel boats and 50’ utility boats.  Please note that the USS Enterprise was in service from 1967 through 2012, so the exact types of boats that it used may have changed over time.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!