5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2021 3:08 PM by Steve Mcclntic

Seeking passenger list from SS Werkendam

Steve Mcclntic Wayfarer

Where can I find the passenger list from the SS Werkendam leaving Rotterdam on 12-22-1899 arrival at NYC 1-4-1900?  I am looking for the passenger list from the SS Werkendam from its voyage from Rotterdam to NYC from 12-17-1899 to 1-3-1900. I am looking for Oscar and Lena Rosenberg. Oscar's Naturalization documents state both the SS Potsdam (petition) and SS Amsterdam (intention) as the ships. Both Documents have the dates of departure/arrival of 12-17-1899 and 1-3-1900. When I researched in the NYT for those dates the only ship sailing from Rotterdam and arriving in NYC on those dates was the Werkendam. Online passenger lists I can find start in 1900, but later in the year. Does the National Archives have passenger lists inclusive of the dates I am researching?

• Re: Seeking passenger list from SS Werkendam
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

The passenger list for the SS Werkendam is on Ancestry.com, as are all other passenger lists.  Ancestry.com - New York, U.S., Arriving Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957

The Werkendam departed Rotterdam on 21 Dec 1899 & arrived NYC 4 Jan 1900.  I could not find anyone with the surname Rosenberg on the list.

Do you know Oscar Louis and Lena Rosenbergs' Yiddish or Polish/Russian given names, since those names would be what appears on a passenger list?

Steve Mcclntic Wayfarer

Thank you... you helped me figure out how to search the passenger lists a little more accurately. I don't know their Yiddish or Polish names. I looked at the passenger lists for all three vessels (Werkendam, Potsdam and Amsterdam) for 1900... no matches, even looked for two passengers together with appropriate ages. I will keep looking.... any other ideas would be appreciated!

thanks again

Steve Mcclntic Wayfarer

Thanks again for your help... I couldn't find alternative names, but (thanks to your help on searching the passenger lists) I went through all of the Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Werkendam passenger lists for arrivals in 1900, looking a last names, ages of couples and country of origin. I found only one match that I feel is close to Oscar and Lena... Israel and Jette Rosen who arrived on the Rotterdam on Jan 25th 1900 (page 24 of the mircofilm). There are notations on the list that I can't decipher, but it looks like they were bringing Israel's younger brother to their father, Sam Rosenfeld. So it might not be them.

In Oscar's naturalization record the dates are specific although the ships changed... from Amsterdam to Rotterdam... I can understand the possible error since they sailed from Rotterdam. I just can't figure out why the date would be so specific if they weren't on the Werkendam... of any of the other ships. Any ideas on what I should do next. The naturalization papers do give locations of birth... Suwalki and Shakie Russia/Poland/Lithuania but I'm not sure how to access those records for births or marriage.

Robert Crumley Adventurer

Dear Mr. MccIntic,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 6/16/1897 - 7/3/1957 (T715) in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that may include passenger lists of the SS Werkendam for 1899-1900. Not all of the records in this series have been digitized. For information about the non-digitized records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

For additional information on passenger lists from this time period, you may wish to visit the National Archives web page titled Immigration Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!