1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2021 12:16 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Naturalization Certificates of  William Benedict & Helen Stiassni

Will Benedict Newbie

I have all the requisite information (below), cross referenced from multiple online sources of different documents but am missing the official naturalization certificates of my grandparents. Given that NARA NYC building is closed and staff is working remotely, I have kindly asked one of the staff to reply by email with a letter attached confirming the authenticity of the online records, ideally with some seal or stamp, even if digital.

I have followed up 3 times since my initial email on June 23rd 2021 and received no further response beyond "Thank you for contacting the National Archives at New York City.  The National Archives is the repository of naturalization records for the Federal District and Circuit Courts. Since William John Benedict and Helen Stiassni both naturalized through the Federal Court in the Southern District of New York, petition numbers 479989 and 529260, we are in possession of those records. "

The registrar in the Czech Republic has requested a confirmation from the National Archive regarding the online records pertaining to my grandparents, with a stamp of the National Archives, confirming that Helen and William with date of birth, were naturalized on a concrete day.

The naturalization certificates are the last piece of documents I need and have exhausted all avenues including the Czech Consulate. I know this may be asking a lot, however, I would really appreciate some help or guidance. Here is more information to provide context if anyone out there has some information that would be very helpful!

• William John Benedict, born March 25, 1915 in Brno, Czech Republic, has naturalization certificate No. 6217287, naturalized in the Southern District Court of New York on August 15, 1944.
      • Helen Stiassni, born August 3, 1924 in Brno, Czech Republic, naturalization certificate No. 6584265, naturalized in the Southern District Court of New York on January 21, 1946.

If necessary, I have declassified property confiscation claim for William from the National Archives which corroborates the authenticity of the above information. Excerpt “My client is an American citizen by naturalization, naturalized in the Southern District Court of New York on August 15, 1944, his naturalization certificate bearing No. 6217287.” Also, I have a document for Helen with a stamp of the U.S. District Court and Southern District Court of New York, Helen’s signature on January 21, 1946, (the date she became a US citizen), an affidavit of witness to Helen’s signature and the deputy clerk’s signature, and the same certificate No. 6584265.  Thanks so much for your help!

• Re: Seeking Naturalization Certificates of  William Benedict & Helen Stiassni
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Benedict,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As stated in your request "Thank you for contacting the National Archives at New York City.  The National Archives is the repository of naturalization records for the Federal District and Circuit Courts. Since William John Benedict and Helen Stiassni both naturalized through the Federal Court in the Southern District of New York, petition numbers 479989 and 529260, we are in possession of those records," the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) has custody of the naturalization petitions from the court.  As to obtaining copies of those petitions, please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) from the court.

All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created from September 27, 1906 through March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). Beginning on April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File). C-Files and certain A-Files may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program. Please request a copy of Certificate of Citizenship No. 6217287 and Certificate of Citizenship No. 6584265 from USCIS.

We hope this is helpful.