2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2021 12:10 PM by Lee Feldman

Transcribing Telegrams

Chris Stamm Newbie

Hello,

I am unclear if a Telegram is considered a form, and only the text that has been inserted into theTelegram form should be transcribed. Any help is appreciated.

• Re: Transcribing Telegrams
          Meredith Doviak Adventurer

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your question, and for your work as a Citizen Archivist.

We do consider a telegram a form, since in many cases there is standard information in the heading or the footer of the document.

We suggest not spending too much time transcribing this pre-printed information, since it is not critical for searching the Catalog. Instead, we encourage you to focus on transcribing the unique text added into the telegram form. For our purposes, we consider this unique text to be the most important for transcription.

You are welcome to transcribe the pre-printed information on the form if you wish. To indicate the form in the transcription, you could always add a descriptive element in brackets, for example:

[Western Union telegram form]

I hope this is helpful. Thank you again for your contributions!

Meredith

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Transcribing Telegrams
            Lee Feldman Newbie

Chris

just FYI I focus on transcribing military documents from the mid to late 1800s where much of the correspondence was telegraphic.  The Western Union headers are pretty boilerplate.  I transcribe and  then store them and just copy and paste them into the page.

As pointed out, not necessary but somehow makes me feel better:)

Lee

2 people found this helpful