1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 18, 2021 12:10 PM by Robert Crumley

    Seeking name of ship(s) Walter Liles served on

    Pamela Scarlett Newbie

      My father, Walter Jay Liles, served in the Navy during WWII from November 1944 until April 1946. I have requested his DD-214 papers to help my mother receive Aid and Attendance as she is disabled at 92 years old. Also, I would like any information about my dad as he never spoke of his Navy days.

        • Re: Seeking name of ship(s) Walter Liles served on
          Robert Crumley Scout

          Dear Ms. Scarlett,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For additional information on your father’s military service, and if you have not requested it already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). In addition to the DD-214, OMPFs may contain information such as duty stations and assignments; training and performance; awards and medals. OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          The DD-214 and OMPF will likely include information on the ship(s) on which he served. After you receive the name of the ship(s), you may wish to view Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24). Some of the deck logs from this period have been digitized. For more information about the non-digitized deck logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!