1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2021 7:27 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking military information about Arthur Bernard Pagels.

    Austin Pagels Newbie

      Hello everyone, this is my first time on many websites asking the same question, what unit did my grandfather serve with during his period in the military? Was he drafted?

      My grandfather served in the Korean War from April 25, 1951 to April 22, 1953. His name is Arthur Bernard Pagels, and he was born on March 18, 1930 in Wisconsin and passed away on April 15, 1990 also in Wisconsin. People often mess him up with another Arthur Pagels who served in Korea, Arthur Victor Pagels, but they have many differences, Arthur B. served in the Army for just under two years, and Arthur V. served for seven or eight years I think. I am just interested in knowing who my grandfathers served with, like unit and regiment, and if he would have saw combat in his time in service. I am also interested in knowing whether he got drafted or not. I have a picture of him while in service, so I have at least confirmation of his time in service, but with who is my only unanswered question, thanks!

        • Re: Seeking military information about Arthur Bernard Pagels.
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Pagels,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. Information in his OMPF may indicate the unit he served in.


          If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!