2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2021 10:53 AM by Zachary Dabbs

Seeking Silver Star Citation of Cyril Burton Moxham

William Moxham Newbie

I am the son of a WW2 and Korean war veteran.  His name was Cyril Burton Moxham.  He died 18 Feb 1986.  I sent a SF180 to St Louis and received his DD214 and other information a few years after he died.  Included was the citation for his Bronze Star but although they said he had a Silver Star (they actually gave me the Silver Star) there was no citation and the record doesn’t indicate whether it was received for WW2 or Korea.

I suspect, since, the records show he was in Battery B, 82nd AA (AW) Battalion in Korea that, its likely, he received the award at the battle of Chipyong Ni in 13-15 February 1951.  At the time I believe he was a Master Sergeant. Subsequent to the battle he was promoted to Lieutenant. His unit was attached to 23rd Regimental Combat Team.  Could you give me some idea of if there is a citation for his Silver Star available and how I can obtain it?  He also received a bronze star (merit) and a purple heart around the same time.

• Re: Seeking Silver Star Citation of Cyril Burton Moxham
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

William,

Looks like your father was also a Major in the Army see military registers below. When you request records make sure you ask for his full military OMPF file. I have made mistake in past of just requesting DD214s or WDAGO and that all you will get. You need to request everything and if he was an officer he would have a separate serial number or officer number and that would need to go on your request paperwork.

Here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/82522213/cyril-b-moxham

Name:Cyril B Moxham
          Death Age:66
          Birth Date:21 Jan 1920
          Service Start Date:24 Apr 1945
          Service End Date:31 May 1965
          Death Date:18 Feb 1986
          Interment Date:26 Mar 1986
          Interment Place:California, USA
          Cemetery Address:22495 Van Buren Boulevard Riverside, CA 92518
          Cemetery:Riverside National Cemetery
          Plot:Section 12c Site 100
          Notes:Maj Us Army World War Ii, Korea, Vietnam

Name:Cyril B Moxham
          Birth Date:21 Jan 1920
          Death Date:18 Feb 1986
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:16 Sep 1940
          Discharge Date:18 Sep 1941
          Enlistment Date 1:25 Jul 1942
          Discharge Date 1:29 Dec 1945

1966 Register: (note his officer number)  O-2263438

1972 Register:

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Silver Star Citation of Cyril Burton Moxham
            Zachary Dabbs Scout

Dear Mr. Moxham,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Award files and general orders regarding Silver Star awards and citations granted to soldiers of the 82nd Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Automatic Weapon) Battalion may be filed in the records of the 2nd Infantry Division or the Eighth Army. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (Record Group 338) that contains 7 file units titled “2nd Infantry Division: General Orders.” We also located the series Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office (Record Group 407) that contains 9 file units regarding general orders and related reports of the 2nd Infantry Division. In addition, we located Award Case Files, 1950 - 1954 and Security Classified Award Case Files, 1952 - 1952 of the Eighth Army in Record Group 338 that may include his Silver Star citation. For more information about these and related records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2referenence@nara.gov.

If you are interested in his unit, we also located 43 file units pertaining to the 82nd Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Automatic Weapon) Battalion in the series Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in Record Group 338 as well as 6 file units in the series Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in Record Group 407 that will reflect the operations and activities of his battalion during the Korean War. Please contact RDT2 for more information.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you review NARA web pages regarding World War II Records and Korean War Records and the pamphlet Finding Information on Personal Participation in World War II.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!