1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 16, 2021 9:30 AM by Josette Schluter

Seeking records of Jean FAYARD in US

Jacques FAYARD Newbie

Bonjour, Je suis français et réside en Nouvelle-Calédonie où mon arrière grand-père Jean Fayard né à Unieux (42240 France) est arrivé en 1857.

Il avait précédemment visité New-York, la Nouvelle Orléans, Boston, Panama, San Francisco et Tahiti. D'après mes recherches je sais qu'il était encore en France en 1836 mais après cette date je ne sais rien. Comment pourrais-je trouver des traces de son passage en Amérique : date d'arrivée et de départ, occupations  et toutes les informations le concernant. En 1859 il est reparti en Australie où il a épousé une irlandaise Catherine CRAVEN née à Dublin le 24 décembre 1826 puis ils sont revenus en Nouvelle-Calédonie où ils ont eu 8 enfants. Je recherche des conseils, des pistes ou des informations et je remercie tous ceux qui pourront me renseigner.

Translation:

Hello, I am French and reside in New Caledonia where my great-grandfather, Jean Fayard, was born on 3-30-1816 in Unieux (France) arrived in 1857. He had previously visited New York, New Orleans, Boston, Panama, San Francisco, and Tahiti. According to my research I know that he was still in France in 1836 but after that date I know nothing. How could I find traces of his time in America: arrival and departure date, occupations and all the information concerning him? In 1859, he returned to Australia where he married an Irish Catherine CRAVEN born in Dublin on December 24, 1826 and then returned to New Caledonia where they had 8 children. I seek advice, leads or information and I thank all those who can inform me.

• Re: Seeking records of Jean FAYARD in US
          Josette Schluter Scout

Dear Mr. Fayard,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

One place to search would be passenger arrival lists. After 1819, the United States Government required captains or masters of vessels to present a passenger list to U.S. officials upon arrival at any port. You may find a record of your great- grandfather on a passenger arrival list at one of the ports from the cities you know that he resided in.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the following for the cities you listed:

1. The Passenger Lists, 6/1834- 11/1855  of vessels arriving at the Port of Boston in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may include the lists of ships that your great grandfather arrived on. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) at boston.archives@nara.gov.

1. The Passenger Lists, 1817 - 1897 of vessels arriving at the Port of New York in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may include the information on your great- grandfather’s arrival. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) at newyork.archives@nara.gov.

1. The Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, 1820 - 1902 (M259) in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may include information about your great- grandfather's arrival in this port. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) at ftworth.archives@nara.gov.

Another resource for information would be to search Census records. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1840 Census and the Population Schedules for the 1850 Census  in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Jean Fayad in the states of Massachusetts, New York, and Louisiana.  For more information about the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1, RM-FW, RE-NY, RE-BO. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

You may wish to search Ancestry or FamilySearch for the U.S. Census records and passenger lists. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!