3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2021 9:17 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking denied claims from the Patriot War of 1812

Ashley Gonzalez Wayfarer

Hi! I'm planning a trip to DC in late October and have already made an appointment request at College Park. I know successful claims exist for the Florida Patriot War of 1812 in Settled Miscellaneous Treasury Accounts, September 6, 1790–September 29, 1894, Office of the First Auditor, Records of the Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury, Record Group 217. When I search through RG 217 in the catalog, I cannot find these records. I know they exist as a previous researcher made an index, which is how I have the names and the claim numbers. What I'd like to know is how I can find the unsuccessful or denied claims for the Patriot War of 1812? Many thanks!

• Re: Seeking denied claims from the War of 1812
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ashley Gonzalez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Settled Treasury Accounts, 9/6/1790 - 9/29/1894 in the Records of the Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury (Record Group 217) that has been partially digitized and are available through the Catalog. Not all files in this series have been digitized or are individually listed in the Catalog. We also located 25 series relating to War of 1812 claims in Record Group 217 and 13 series relating to East Florida land claims in the Records of the Bureau of Land Management (Record Group 49). For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1)  via email at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Next, we located Letters Received Relating to Claims for Losses Sustained During the Operations of American Troops in East Florida in 1812 and 1813, 1834 - 1842 and Letters Sent, 1878 - 1887 in the General Records of the Department of the Treasury (Record Group 56) that include records relating to claims arising from the East Florida war. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

When you email the reference units, we suggest that you attach or link a copy of the index you are referencing as it may assist the NARA staff in identifying the correct records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Ashley Gonzalez Wayfarer

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your response!

My understanding about the files with claims paid exists in Settled Miscellaneous Treasury Accounts, September 6, 1790–September 29, 1894, Office of the First Auditor, Records of the Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury. When the author wrote his book, he listed these as being at College Park, as that's where he went when he viewed them and extracted the information for his book. I see on the page that they should be located in DC. Were these files moved from College Park to DC?

Thanks,

Ashley

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ashley Gonzalez,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

These records may have been temporarily moved to NARA’s College Park building while the DC facility was being renovated, and then moved back to the DC building when the renovation was completed. If you have any questions about the movement of records to or from DC, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.