4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2021 12:09 PM by Lawrence Kritis

Seeking list of WWI service numbers

Lawrence Kritis Wayfarer

Is there a record that contains the service numbers of World War I soldiers with their names?  I believe the service numbers were assigned at the training camps.  I am looking for service numbers with names, not names with service numbers. Thank you

• Re: Seeking list of WWI service numbers
          J. Andrew Scout

I've never run across any single set of records with every single service number, or the records of service numbers being first assigned.  There may be other resources that may be useful for matching up some names with some service numbers.  What are you trying to accomplish?  If we had a better idea of what you are trying to do, we might be able to better recommend potential resources.

Lawrence Kritis Wayfarer

I will try to be brief.  I am attempting to compose a complete list of servicemen from the 124th Field Artillery (FA) Regiment, 58th FA Brigade, 33rd (llinois) Division during World War I.  I have yet to find a complete list so I am trying to find sources with names and service numbers to help me reconstruct this regiment.  My only sources are the troop transport ship passenger list for the 33rd Division going to and from Europe.

Many of these Army servicemen were with the Illinois National Guard when I was called up.  They were sent to Camp Logan, Texas for training in 1917.  Shortly after they became federalized they were assigned service numbers.

I have noticed patterns in the service number assignments.  Many of the 33rd Division men at Camp Logan were assigned numbers in an approximate range of 13780000 to 1379000.  There are gaps in these numbers.  I do know some stayed behind while others went to Europe, others were discharged prior to their trip to Europe. 

Also, men from other division from other training camps were added to the 33rd Division before they left.  These men were assigned diferent service numbers depending on which camp they were trained at.  By they way, officers were not assigned service numbers at this time.

Is there an easier way to find these men?

Thank you.

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Kritis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

While service numbers are often present in other records such as the passenger lists you referenced in your reply, there are no surviving records which provide a complete list of Army service numbers assigned during World War I, either as a whole or for specific posts or training camps. If such records were created by the Army, they may have been destroyed by the Army after their initial administrative use.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls and Rosters, 11/1/1912 - 12/31/1943 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64) that may include rosters of the 24th Field Artillery (FA) Regiment during WWI. The WWI records have been digitized and are partially available using the Catalog, but  not all unit rosters have been uploaded yet, and the inconsistent use of abbreviations may make it difficult to locate rosters of a specific unit. For assistance with these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please note that the World War I rosters also are available on FamilySearch.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
                  Lawrence Kritis Wayfarer

Thank you Mr. Atkinson.  The link to FamilySearch is exactly what I needed.  The digitized 31Dec1917-28Feb1918 Muster Rolls have a list of service numbers for each man.  The numbers must have been assigned to the servicemen at the beginning of the year at Camp Logan, the 33rd Division training camp. The numbers were assigned in sequence by order on the Muster Roll.

Thank you very much.  I appreciate your help and effort.

Larry K