2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2021 12:59 PM by Lisha Penn

Seeking burial location of Crumelin Dimond

Susan Wilson Newbie

I sent the following letter to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, National Cemetery Administration (43A1), Burial Location Request and was told they could not locate my relative:   I cannot locate the burial site of my relative Private Crumelin Dimond. He was born on May 3, 1846 in New Hackensack, Dutchess County, New York, and enlisted in the U S Army Company D Regiment 168 New York Infantry and died in New York City at the General Hospital located at Lexington Avenue and 51st Street. His death  was on 12 Feb 1863 and was witnessed by Alex Mott, SWSV.  If you have access to Ancestry.com, this record is located in U.S., Registers of Deaths of Volunteers, 1861-1865 Box 34. The only information you may need is additional spelling of his first name and I have seen it spelled as Crumaline.  The Dimond last name is always without the letter a.   The additional record is from New York: Report of the Adjutant General. 1893-1906: Name: Crumaline Dimond; Enlistment Age: 18; Birth Date: 1844; Enlistment Date: 12 Nov 1862; Enlistment Place :  Newburgh, New York; Enlistment Rank:  Private; Muster Date:  23 Jan 1863; Muster Place: New York; Muster Unit:  Company D, 168th Infantry Regiment; Muster Information: Enlisted; Muster Out Date: 12 Feb 1863;  Muster Out Place: Hospital at New York City; Muster Out Information: died; Side of War: Union.

I would like to know where he is buried.  He was only 15 when he enlisted –lied about his age. We know where he died; just not what that facility did with it's war dead.  I would appreciate your help.  Thanks!

• Re: Seeking burial location of Crumelin Dimond
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Susan,

Have you tried looking in Illinois where is father William is buried? By 1870 Census the family had left NY and Head to DeKalb, ILL. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/133123840/william-henry-dimond

Additionally, The military may have also spelled his name wrong especially first and last name. Please see information below. Make sure you use scroll bar at bottom to slide over to view the page.

https://museum.dmna.ny.gov/application/files/1315/5421/4353/168th_Infantry_CW_Roster.pdf    look at page 31.

Name:Crumoline Dimond[Crumoline Diamond]
          Birth Year:abt 1845
          Enlistment Year:1862
          Enlistment Location:Newburgh, New York, USA
          Muster Year:1863
          Muster Regiment:168th Infantry
          Separation Date:12 Feb 1863
          Separation Details:Died

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking burial location of Crumelin Dimond
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Ms. Wilson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located several Burial and Cemeterial Files, dated before 1915, in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that may include Cypress Hills National Cemetery for February 1863 in New York. Although New York City was not a part of the Civil War conflict zone, there was a need for burial space for the soldiers who died in the area’s military hospitals. The Federal Government established a soldiers’ lot in the private Cypress Hills Cemetery in April 1862. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov and include your ancestor’s name, rank, and military unit in your request.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

You may wish to search the National Park Service website Cypress Hills National Cemetery for additional information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful