1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 11, 2021 11:41 AM by Rachael Salyer

    How can I find out if someone had an FBI case file?

    Megan Quinn Newbie

      Trying to find out if my great grandfather had an FBI file. He had some troubles in the 1900s.

        • Re: How can I find out if someone had an FBI case file?
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Quinn,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Index to Investigative Case Files, 1908-1922 in the Records of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (Record Group 65) that is arranged alphabetically by name of individual or organization investigated, or by name of city or state where investigations took place, and that may contain a reference to your great grandfather. The index relates to several series of records, including the series General Investigative Records, 1908-1922, and both series are part of National Archives Microfilm Publication M1085. We also located the series Central Records for 1910-2004 in Record Group 65 that may contain some records related to your research. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          An explanation about the Central Records classification filing system is available on NARA’s website at Central Records of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (RG 65). In addition, M1085 has been digitized and made available online by Fold3. There may be a fee for using Fold3. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


          If your great grandfather was ever tried in a federal court, we suggest that you review the National Archives website that outlines the Court Records in our holdings. If he was incarcerated in a federal prison, there may be some relevant records in series such as inmate case files in the Records of the Bureau of Prisons (Record Group 129). You may contact the National Archives reference unit listed in each Catalog description for assistance with those records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 or other NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful