1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2021 1:34 PM by Zachary Dabbs

Seeking Civilian Conservation Corps Personnel Record

Theresa Glye Newbie

I'm asking for information on my father, Hugo Hermann, date of birth 03/13/1913, who served in the CCCs, probably in the 1930s somewhere near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  We are visiting this city and would like to know where he served, i.e. state park, etc.  I've completed the National Archives Form NA 14136 a few months ago but have heard nothing back.  I've tried to call them but receive the message that they are not accepting calls now (due to COVID).  Is there anywhere online that I can secure this information.  Thank you very much for any help you can give me.  We are leaving on our trip to Idaho the end of August.

• Re: Seeking Civilian Conservation Corps Personnel Record
          Zachary Dabbs Scout

Dear Ms. Glye,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since you already requested a copy of his CCC personnel records, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Camp Inspection Reports, 1933 - 1942 in the Records of the Civilian Conservation Corps (Record Group 35) that includes 15 file units pertaining to 15 file units pertaining to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The file units have not been digitized and are not available online.  For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located the series "Happy Days" Newspapers, 5/20/1933 - 10/26/1940 in Record Group 35 that includes 8 file units mentioning Coeur d'Alene. Unfortunately, we did not locate any that mentioned an enrollee named Hugo Hermann. This series is digitized and available using the Catalog.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. For more information and for updates regarding the status of NARA’s services please see the COVID-19 Updates webpage. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, some CCC records are held locally and suggest that you contact the Idaho State Archives for records in their custody.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!