1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 6, 2021 12:00 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking HQ, Army of Mississippi Special Order No 4

G. Andrew Dill Newbie

Special Orders No.5 issued by HQ 1st Corps, Army of the Mississippi (HQ of General Leonidas Polk ??? - Unsigned) is included in the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume X, Chapter XXII, Part II, Page 385.  At the top and bottom, this document references Special Orders No, 4 from General Albert Sidney Johnson's HQ.  "III. Col. A. J. Lindsay, of the C. S. Cavalry, having been ordered to report to these headquarters, is ordered to proceed immediately to his regiment, at Lexington, Tenn., and assume command of the companies stated in Special Orders, No. 4, from headquarters Army of the Mississippi."  It was a Cavalry reorganization just before Shiloh.

" . . . On joining the main body of the Army of the Mississippi Colonel Lindsay's regiment, under Special Orders, No, 4, from General A. S. Johnston, will become a part of the general cavalry reserve."  I am researching the details of this reorganization alluded to in Order No, 5 but have been unable to find Special Orders No. 4 in the Official Records.  Can I get some help finding if Special Orders No. 4 is still maintained at NARA?