1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 6, 2021 8:35 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking Korean War service records of Malcolm Bunker

    Jodi Brown Newbie

      I am trying to find my Step Father's Korean War Service Record.  Malcolm L. Bunker also served as an Army Ranger in WWII with the 5th Battalion Ranger in Easy Company.  He then went on to serve in the Korean War.  I'm trying to find out if he enlisted or was called back in.  I also believe that the Army tried to get him to reenlist in the Vietnam War.  He passed away in 2000. Thank You

        • Re: Seeking Korean War service records of Malcolm Bunker
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Brown,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your stepfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Next, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records related to the 5th Ranger Battalion during WWII.  Please note that these records generally do not include information about individuals; however, they may provide some information about the actions of the unit as a whole during the war. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Plus, we located the series Command Reports, 1949-1954 in Record Group 407 and the series Unit Histories, 1943-1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that may include records of your stepfather’s unit during the Korean War. If you know the specific unit he served with during this time, you may be able to learn more about the unit’s actions from these records. These records have not been digitized. Please contact RDT2 for assistance with these and similar records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!