2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2021 1:03 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking the US Civil War Pension File of Moses Sapp

    Margaret Parsons Newbie

      I found my ancestor's U. S. Civil War Pension Index:  General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 - Ancestry.com.  Date of filing:  6 May 1882; Class:  Invalid; Application no:  442089; Certificate No:  473949; State from which Filed:  GA; name:  Moses W. Sapp.  Is there a way to search his pension on line or order a copy of his Pension file?

        • Re: Seeking the US Civil War Pension File of Moses Sapp
          Alice Lane Pioneer

          Hi Margaret,

          Welcome to History Hub


          Go to fold3.com to get the records. Fold3 is a pay website but you can get a 7 day free trial to look for your ancestors pension file.


          Good Luck in your search


          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: Seeking the US Civil War Pension File of Moses Sapp
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Parsons,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The majority of Civil War pension files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). To request a search and order copies of military pension application files based on Federal (not State or Confederate) service during the Civil War, please complete a NATF Form 85 and mail it to the address on the form. We suggest that you enclose the index card you located on Ancestry with your order, as it contains information that can be useful for locating the file.


            Also, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Indexes to the Carded Records of Soldiers Who Served in Volunteer Organizations During the Civil War in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes a file unit for Sapp, Moses W - 2nd US Volunteers, Infantry, Company K which has been digitized and in available using the Catalog. In index card indicates that there is a service record for him in the series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the American Civil War in Record Group 94 but his service record has not been digitized. To request a copy of his non-digitized service record, please download the NATF Form 86, fill it out to the best of your knowledge, and mail the completed forms to the address listed on the form. Please include a copy of the file unit from the Index. For more information see Requesting Copies of Older (pre-WWI) Military Service Records.


            In addition,you may email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov for more information about these records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also,the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!