1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2021 9:15 AM by Lisha Penn

    How do I request a death certificate for Herman Gitlin?

    Beth Gitlin Newbie

      I need a copy of a death certificate for my father, Herman Gitlin. He served in WWII and died at Walter Reed Medical Hospital in 1996. I don't know how to obtain a copy of his death certificate.  Thank you!

        • Re: How do I request a death certificate for Herman Gitlin?
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Gitlin,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) if you have not yet done so. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We also suggest that you contact the District of Columbia Department of Health Certificates to obtain a copy of your father’s death certificate. Walter Reed Medical Hospital was located in Washington, DC before moving to its current location in Bethesda, Maryland in 2005.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!