1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2021 1:59 PM by Charleen Vocca

Seeking information about photographer Mathew Brady

STEPHEN HOSMER Wayfarer

Hi, I am trying to learn more about photographer Mathew Brady who was a photographic person.  I would like to know what you have on Mathew Brady during his time living in Washington DC where he took a lot of his famous photos of important people.  I am also interested in knowing where he lived and know if there is a society dedicated to his work he did.   I believe I read that the LOC has his personal collection of items. If you could help me out answering my above questions that would be great.

• Re: Seeking information about photographer Mathew Brady
          Charleen Vocca Scout

Dear Mr. Hosmer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Subject Files, 1957 - 1966 of the Civil War Centennial Commission in the Records of the National Park (Service Record Group 79) that contains reproductions of photographs taken by Mathew Brady, including a photograph of President-Elect Abraham Lincoln. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located Mathew Brady Photographs of Civil War-Era Personalities and Scenes in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that includes numerous photographs taken by Brady. They have been digitized and are available for viewing using the Catalog. In addition, we located the Civil War Photographs by Mathew Brady and Alexander Gardner in the Records of the Public Health Service (Record Group 90).  Please note that this includes the works of both Mathew Brady and Alexander Gardner and have not been digitized.  For more information about the non-digitized records, please contact National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, you may be interested in viewing this NARA website titled Civil War Photographs since Mr. Brady was most known for his Civil War photography.

For some general biographical information on Mathew Brady, we suggest you look at the following webpages Mathew Brady: Biographical Note from the Library of Congress and Civil War - Biography - Mathew Brady from the American Battlefield Trust. There are also numerous biographical books written about Mathew Brady such as “Mathew Brady: Portraits of a Nation” by Robert Wilson. We suggest checking with your local library for their availability.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!