5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2021 3:21 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking service and POW records of Du Song Why

Eva Smith Wayfarer

I am seeking service and POW records related to my grandfather, Du Song Why.  He was a Chinese Filipino who lived in Malabang, on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines.  I have searched http://collections.pvao.mil.ph/  extensively but cannot seem to find his name. Per my mother, he was captured in 1944 or 1945 and held as a POW.  He was executed by the Japanese before she was born in May 1945. I believe my grandmother filed an application for Ex-Prisoner of War Allowance because I have notarial records with affidavits from witnesses that knew of his death and their marriage.  These records do not mention using an alias (although I just have notarial registers, not the actual affidavits).  Appreciate any help!

• Re: Seeking service and POW records of Du Song Why
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

I did find this please see below.

Also is this any relation to who you are seeking.

1 person found this helpful
            Eva Smith Wayfarer

I have looked through these POW Claim files twice and his name is not listed.  Are there other POW Claim files that have not been microfilmed, perhaps?  I have noticed that there are very few Chinese surnames among these files, which I think is odd.

Eva Smith Wayfarer

I think I found the answer to my question here

"21. Filipino POW Claims Files, • n.d. 220 rolls • Arranged numerically by claim number. Application to U. S. War Claims Commission for ex-POW Compensation for Compulsory Labor and/~r Inhumane Treatment. _ These files are for Filipino claimants. Documents include name, next of kin, and other identification and claim information; data on Japanese compliance with Geneva Convention; information on survivors of deceased POWs and descriptions of camp living conditions: sanitation, medical care, and the nature of forced labor, such as health conditions, and whether it was war-related. Some claims include affidavits. Within each file, pages are out of order on microfilm. Temporary. Retain until no longer needed for agency use; randomly select three rolls of microfilm for permanent accession into NARS, and destroy the remainder."

Breaks my heart.

Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Ms. Smith,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Personnel and medical records of individuals who served in the Army of the Philippines and military service personnel files for members of the Philippines Scouts are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.

The official Filipino guerrilla rosters for World War II are also in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Inquiries concerning these official rosters or verification of service should be sent to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002 using the enclosed GSA Standard Form 180.  Their website is https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service -records/get-service-records.html.

Next, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Filipino Prisoner of War (POW) Claim Files, 1944?-1985? and the series Records Relating to Japanese Relations with Filipino Prisoners of War (POWs), 1943-1952 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1917 -1985 (Record Group 407) that may contain some information related to your research. Additionally, we located the series Prisoner of War (POW) and Civilian Internee Compensation Claim Files, 1950-1967 and the series Prisoner of War (POW) and Civilian Internee Reserved Award Claim Files, ca. 1950-1971 in the Records of the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission of the United States (Record Group 299) that may include your grandmother’s claim. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these and similar records.

We also located 94 series including Individual Rosters, 1945-1966 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that are part of the Philippine Archives Collection (PAC). Some of the series have been digitized and are available via the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized lists, please contact RDT2. For information about PAC, please consult NARA’s website About the Philippine Archives Collection.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful