6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2021 10:53 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Muster Rolls of Troop "H," 2nd Cavalry for April 1912 to Oct 1912

Dale Durnell Wayfarer

My Grandfather, William T(heodore) DURNAL, enlisted in "H" Troop, 2nd US Cavalry (WMS) on April 13, 1912. He served as a Private in that company until his discharge at Fort Ethan Allen on April 12, 1915 (as a Saddler). I have found him on Family Search, in what they are calling

Film # 106327004 And which they have (however incorrectly) identified as

85713803|RG-64|World War I Rosters of enlisted men, 2nd Calv Regt,Troop G-L, Reel 15.11, Roll 524, 1916 - 1939

On that reel, I have found the Muster Rolls of members (officers and enlisted) of the 2nd U.S. Cav Rgmt, Troops G-L. Especially, I have found my grandfather's unit Troop "H" 2nd Cavalry Regiment, United States Army, specifically him (by name) in the rosters from October 1912 through at least his discharge in April 1915. What I am missing and which I desperately need are the Muster Rolls for Troop "H" 2nd Cavalry United States Army from April 1912  through the end of October 1912.

For what records should I be looking (how are they identified)? How do I find (and acquire a copy of the pages from the Microfilm reel upon which they are located? Can I buy a copy of the Microfilm reel cited above? Can I buy a copy of the Microfilm containing the missing months for which I am seeking? Many thanks in advance

• Re: Seeking Muster Rolls of Troop "H," 2nd Cavalry for April 1912 to Oct 1912
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Durnell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The records that you have examined on FamilySearch are from the record series Muster Rolls and Rosters, 11/1/1912 - 12/31/1943 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64).  These records do not include muster rolls from April 1912 through October 1912.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Muster Rolls, 1844 - 1918 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that consists of muster rolls of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. Additionally, we located Returns of Military Organizations, ca. 1800 - 12/1916 from the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that may include digitized returns from the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The returns from the 2nd Cavalry Regiment are available on Ancestry at U.S., Returns from Regular Army Non-Infantry Regiments, 1821-1916. Some libraries provide free access to Ancestry to their patrons.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
              Dale Durnell Wayfarer

Thank you every so much -- most helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Once I got to those records, et voila, there he was. Having enlisted on April 23, he joined Troop "H" at Ft Bliss on June 24 after the regiment returned from the Philippines. 4

This has answered a question I have had for well over 62 years, and certainly clarifies the information I have on my grandfather.

Again, many thanks -- I do so very much appreciate your prompt response.

Dale

SMSgt Dale L Durnell, USAF(Ret)

Dale Durnell Wayfarer

Might I please now expand my question and the scope thereof?

Part One - The muster rolls for Troop "H" 2nd Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army for April 1915 indicates that my grandfather, William T Durnal was honorably discharged on 22 April 1915 (ETS). His character "Excellent" Service honest and faithful. No AWOL. Would there be a copy of his discharge papers somewhere? A "certificate" of some kind (I have seen images of other discharge certificates from similar periods of time, but they would seem to be originals from family records.

Part Two - I have an old photo of my grandfather which shows him wearing a (service?) medal. How can I verify if there were any decorations awarded for his service? My inclination is that he would have been awarded the Mexican Service Medal, but I can't prove it.

• The Mexican Service Medal was established on December 12, 1917, by War Department General Orders Number 155.
                • The "Mexican Service Medal" was awarded for military service in any action against hostile Mexican forces in which U.S. troops were killed or wounded between April 12, 1911, and February 7, 1917.
                • Without documentation, it is impossible to prove what military decorations might have been awarded.

Again, many thanks in advance

Dale

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Durnell,

Thank you for posting your follow up request on History Hub!

The Army may have included a copy of his discharge certificate as well as a record of any awards or campaign ribbons in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94). Because of his date of enlistment, there may be a file for him in these records, but it is possible that any files on him that were originally kept with these records were transferred to the OMPF when the Army changed to that system. We also located Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 (M233) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes a listing for him which may be of interest, but it does not include information about awards and campaign ribbons.  For information about the Enlistment Papers and M233, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

M233 has been digitized and is available on Fold3 as Army Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; on Ancestry as U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; and on FamilySearch as United States Registers of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscri

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Dale.

Based on what I have read the 2nd Cavalry was stationed at Fort Bliss, TX during the time frame you are seeking I saw them specifically on the June 1912 Post returns for Ft. Bliss, TX. Previously the 2nd Calvary had been stationed in the Philippines you can see that based on the June Post return on the back.

The Philippines and the Mexican Border

The 2nd Cavalry Regiment was sent to the Philippines during the Philippine Insurrection soon after their tenure in Cuba. From 23 January – 18 July 1905, they participated in the Cavite Campaign, working to root out insurgents and secure the surrounding countryside. On 14 February 1910, the troopers of the 2nd Cavalry fought in the Battle of Tiradores Hill on Mindanao island. Their next clashes were during the Moro Rebellion on Jolo island. They fought in the Battle of Mount Bagoak on 3 December 1911, and the Battle of Mount Vrut from 10–12 January 1912. The regiment continued patrolling and security operations until they arrived home in June 1912.

When they returned to the US in 1912, the 2nd Cavalry was sent to the border of Mexico to enforce border laws and prevent raids by banditos. The regiment's sector extended from El Paso, Texas all the way to Presidio, Texas, a stretch of 262 miles. The troopers were busily engaged in the duties of border surveillance and border security. In December 1913, the 2nd Cavalry was moved out of their post at Fort Bliss and sent to Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont to conduct maneuvers with several Army National Guard units. In 1914, troopers of the 2nd Cavalry were selected to represent the US Army in the annual horse show in Madison Square Garden in New York City.

1 person found this helpful