1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2021 2:49 PM by Rachael Salyer Branched to a new discussion.

Seeking other veterans of ARC LIGHT in Vietnam

Walter Padworski Wayfarer

Several U.S. Air Force Wings were deployed in the early months of 1966 in a Bombing Campaign the U.S. Government called ARC LIGHT.  The 22nd Bomb Wing, March AFB,CA deployed a large contingent of airmen in support of ARC LIGHT.  The deployment included quite a few airmen assigned to the 22nd Field Maintenance Squadron. Special Orders (SO) were prepared and each set listed approximately 50 names.  I have a copy of one set, however, I believe that there are at least 3 more Special Orders that list approximately 150 more airmen.  SAC has classified information regarding this deployment and it is not public due to security classification.

I do know that each individual deployed may have been given an individual copy of their orders.  I don't have my copy and as far as the military is concerned, I was never there.  I do have 3 Birthday Cards I sent to my daughter and my comments inside those cards state "Guam."  This is the only proof I have.

If you deployed to Anderson AFB, Guam  from March AFB, Riverside, California between February 1968 and July 1968 please contact me.  If you have a set of orders that would be great - even if my name isn't on it. 

• Re: Seeking other veterans of ARC LIGHT in Vietnam
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Mr. Padworski,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you are searching for information about your own service, we suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and before May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 19 files related to the 22nd Bombardment Wing from 1966-1968 and 347 files related to ARC LIGHT from 1966-1968. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information about them.

If the reel number begins with D - Z, the microfilm is still security classified and RDT2 will not be able to make the reel available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) and has been declassified. To obtain copies of these records, please follow the instructions on this page.

Next, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Report of the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force in the Records of the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Record Group 330) includes 6 references to Arc Light in the 1960s that might be of interest to you. These records have been digitized and may be viewed online in the Catalog.

We also located 6 additional series and 176 file units related to ARC LIGHT in the 1960s that may include some relevant information. Some of these records have been digitized and can be viewed in the Catalog. Please contact the National Archives reference unit listed in each Catalog description for assistance with non-digitized records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 or other NARA reference units. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file. Please review NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web pages for some ideas on how to locate the persons you seek.

Finally, the U.S. Air Force discontinued the Morning Report (AF Form 183) on June 30, 1966. It was replaced by a  machine reporting system, the Military Strength Balance Report (AFHRA Call Number K381.24, Jan-Jun 1966, IRIS Number 498836). Additionally, another report, Average Strength Data Report, Reports Control Symbol (RCS) AF-P185 was also required. Neither report has been accessioned into the custody of the  National Archives. Please contact the Air Force Historical Research Agency for access to these reports. They may be able to offer you additional assistance with your search, as well.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!