2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2021 12:28 PM by Sheon Montgomery

Vietnam War draft Order of Induction letter

Andrea Bowen Newbie

Hello, I am looking for an official copy of an Order of Induction letter from the Selective Service System (the draft) for the Vietnam War era. Specifically, I have heard this referred to as the "Greetings" letter, yet unofficial images I've seen all say "Greeting," without the S. I'm interested in verifying this seemingly small typographic detail as I look into the letters' role in popular culture of the time. Thank you.

• Re: Vietnam War draft Order of Induction letter
          Zachary Dabbs Scout

Dear Ms. Bowen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records Relating to Agency Forms, 1948 - 1974 and Central Files, 1948 - 1965 in the Records of the Selective Service System (Record Group 147) that may include records concerning the Selective Service System Order to Report for Induction (SSS Form No. 252). For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located the series Presidential Clemency Board Subject Files, 1974 - 1975 in the Charles E. Goodell Papers (Collection GRF-0193) that includes the file unit “Reconciliation Service - Manual (2)”. This file unit has been digitized and is available online using the Catalog. Please see page 65 of the PDF document for an annotated reproduction of Form 252 which includes the salutation. For more information about these records, please contact the Gerald R. Ford Library (LP-GRF) at ford.library@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and LP-GRF. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Vietnam War draft Order of Induction letter
            Sheon Montgomery Newbie

Ms. Bowen,

You can find digitized Vietnam War era examples of the Selective Service System's "Order to Report for Induction" in the Virtual Vietnam Archive the online research database of the Vietnam Center & Sam Johnson Vietnam Archive (VNCA) at Texas Tech University. We have several spanning the years 1966-1970 -- it looks like they didn't change much!

Virtual Vietnam Archivehttps://vva.vietnam.ttu.edu/

Search for (include the quote marks):  "order to report for induction"     [15 Search Results]

-----

Or to search for more general information related to Selective Service and induction:

On the Home search page (click the little red house in the menu bar), click on Advanced Search 

Keyword:    "selective service" sss

*AND

Keyword:    induction

--Sheon Montgomery, VNCA Reference Archivist
            For assistance researching the Virtual Vietnam Archive:  vnca@ttu.edu

Thanks to our Vietnam veterans who have donated their personal materials.