2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2021 2:48 PM by Alice Lane

    Seeking Naturalization Records of Hackley Polley

    Cindy Voiron Church Newbie

      Hackley Polley is my 2nd grand uncle and was born in Warkworth, Ontario, Canada on 20 Jan 1838.  He emigrated to the US in 1863, married Amanda E Butler in Janesville, Wisconsin in 1868, and had two children.


      On one of his child's passport applications, it was stated that Hackley Polley was naturalized in the District Court of Cherokee Co, Iowa on _2 Sept, 187_.


      He died in Grand Junction, Mesa, Colorado on 17 Nov 1916.


      I have been chasing confirmation of my 3rd great-grandparents for nearly 20 years and these records could provide what I have been looking for so long. 


      Is there anybody that could help me?



        • Re: Seeking Naturalization Records of Hackley Polley
          Josette Schluter Scout

          Dear Ms. Cindy Voiron Church,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. Researchers should contact the National Archives facility serving the state in which the petitioner resided to determine if records from lower courts are available. (In your case since Mr. Polley filed his naturalization records in the District Court at Cherokee County, Iowa you would want to contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov.)   In certain cases county court naturalization records maintained by the National Archives are available as microfilm publications


          Records from state and local courts are often at state archives or county historical societies.

          The State Historical Society of Iowa: State Archives and Records Program  has county records for Cherokee County including naturalization records from 1872- 1927 on Microfilm. You may wish to contact them to see if they hold the records you seek.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking Naturalization Records of Hackley Polley
            Alice Lane Pioneer

            Hi Cindy,

            Welcome to History Hub

            I found that the children were born in Wisconsin, so I searched for an application there.

            Possible Match

            I found this application made in Wisconsin by Hackley Polley.


            John Hackley Polly (1838-1916) - Find A Grave Memorial

            Alice Lane

            Research Volunteer.