1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2021 7:43 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking information pertaining to Company I from 116th Infantry, 29th Infantry Division during World War 2.

Webb Bell Newbie

I'm seeking any information pertaining to Company I from 116th Infantry, 29th Infantry Division during World War 2.  My Great-Uncle was in I Company and I'm very interested to know what they did during the War.  I know that they were at Omaha Beach, but not much else.

• Re: Seeking information pertaining to Company I from 116th Infantry, 29th Infantry Division during World War 2.
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Bell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For information about your relative's service history, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for soldiers of the U.S. Army who served during World War II and were separated from the service (to include being killed in action while in service) are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 116th Infantry Regiment and its component battalions during WWII. Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the battalion or regiment. We also located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 49 file units relating to the 29th Infantry Division during the 1940s. Also in Record Group 338 is Records Relating to Training and Operations, 1941 - 1945 which includes files relating to the 29th Infantry Division. Plus, we located Records Relating to Operations Reports, 1945 - 1946 in the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498) that includes 2 files relating to the 29th Infantry Division. We also located Corps and Division Battle Experience Reports, 1945 - 1945 in Record Group 498 which includes files relating to the 29th Infantry Division. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov

Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov

Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additionally, we searched the Library of Congress's Veterans History Project and located the  George T. Butler Collection and the Charles J. Lillis Collection relating to veterans of Company I, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division.

The U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center, 950 Soldiers Drive, Carlisle, PA 17013, has a large collection of published unit histories. You may wish to contact them and the US Army Center of Military History to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.

Finally, we searched online and located the following resources:

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!