1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2021 2:12 PM by Lisha Penn

Seeking naturalization record of Henry Knupp

Donald Knupp Newbie

How would I find a Naturalization Record for my Great Grandfather Henry Knupp? What I know is that he was born in Germany in 1836. The oldest record I have found for Henry Knupp is a Civil War Draft Registration from 1863 that indicates he was living in Ohio in 1863 (county is uncertain). Then I have an 1870 Census Record indicating that Henry Knupp was living in Wayne, Monroe County, Ohio in 1870 and was eligible to vote. This tells me that by 1870 Henry Knupp was a Naturalized citizen of the United States. Since I do not know the laws or rules (especially for that time period) I do not know if Henry Knupp would have been Naturalized by 1963 in order to be eligible for Civil War Draft Registration. Can anyone provide any suggestions on how to proceed? Thank you.

• Re: Seeking naturalization record of Henry Knupp
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Mr. Knupp,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In general, naturalization was a two-step process* that took a minimum of five years. After residing in the United States for two years, an alien could file a "declaration of intention" ("first papers") to become a citizen. After three additional years, the alien could "petition for naturalization" (”second papers”). After the petition was granted, a certificate of citizenship was issued to the alien. These two steps did not have to take place in the same court. 

If a naturalization took place in a Federal court in Ohio, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH). No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with RM-CH via email at chicago.archives@nara.gov, you should include the following: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and after September 26, 1906, one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Please see the National Archives website Naturalization Records, and 1870 CENSUS – UNITED STATES for more information. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!