1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2021 3:22 PM by Rachael Salyer

How to access "Special Collections Room" documents now?

Lawrence Capuder Wayfarer

Hello and thanks in advance for your assistance,. Around Year 2000, I held a very special document for my fourth great grandfather - Agricole Fuselier - in the National Archives' "Special Collections Room" in DC: his final pay record from the War of 1812 with his signature on it - it was unusual and held there because he was an officer. It was OVERSIZED. Responses from this forum have denied the existence of the "Special Collections Room" or any memory of it. Does anyone remember this room? .What happened to the documents once held there?  I GREATLY APPRECIATE your ideas to assist me! I desperately want to obtain an image of this document for the archives of The General Society of the War of 1812.

• Re: How to access "Special Collections Room" documents now?
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Mr. Capuder,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Information about visiting the National Archives in Washington, D.C. (Archives I) can be found on our website. Research room access is currently available by appointment only. To make an appointment for a research room visit, please email a1consultation@nara.gov.

As Mr. Atkinson indicated in his response to your earlier question (Seeking pay records of Agricole Fuselier), you may also wish to contact the National Archives at Washington, D.C. - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov to inquire about the specific records you are interested in viewing. The records you are interested in are in their custody, and they will be able to offer you more specific information about accessing them or about ordering reproductions.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

1 person found this helpful