4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2021 9:21 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking location where Newton Harrington is buried

Tim Wunderle’s Newbie

My gg uncle NEWTON HARRINGTON, served in the Ohio Ninth, died in hospital in Alabama (supposedly), and buried at Chattanooga National Cemetery ((supposedly). I would like to find him and pay my respects but no information in Chattanooga. Where(Who) do I go to now? Thanks

• Re: Seeking location where Newton Harrington is buried
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Tim,

Here is some information below. He is buried at Harrington Cemetery in Northampton, OH.  It could also be Northampton Cemetery

Name:
          Enlistment Age:21
          Birth Date:abt 1840
          Enlistment Date:11 Oct 1861
          Enlistment Rank:Private
          Muster Date:11 Oct 1861
          Muster Place:Ohio
          Muster Regiment:9th LA
          Muster Regiment Type:Artillery
          Muster Information:Enlisted
          Rank Change Date:1 Dec 1862
          Rank Change Rank:Corpl
          Imprisonment Date:17 Sep 1862
          Imprisonment Place:Cumberland Gap, Kentucky
          Muster Out Date:12 Aug 1864
          Muster Out Place:Bridgeport, Alabama
          Muster Out Information:died disease
          Side of War:Union
          Survived War?:No
          Was POW?:Yes
          Burial Place:Chattanooga, Tennessee
          Cemetery:Chattanooga National Cemetery
          Title:Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio; Roll of Honor of Ohio Soldiers

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking location where Newton Harrington is buried
            Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Wunderle,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records of Interments at National Cemeteries, 1862 - 1984 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that may contain information about the burial location of your ancestor Newton Harrington.

For more information about the non-digitized records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov and include as information as possible about him when you contact them.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!