2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2021 9:42 AM by Jason Atkinson Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking military records of Walter Paul Jerrell

    Luke Sowieralski Wayfarer

      Hello this Luke do you have any muster records for gunners mate Walter Paul Jerrell a Pearl Harbor survivor us navy?born in 1920 died 1983?

        • Re: Seeking military records of Walter Paul Jerrell
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information below.


          U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010


          Name:Walter P Jerrell
          Birth Date:18 Jan 1920
          Death Date:11 Aug 1983
          Enlistment Branch:NAVY
          Enlistment Date:2 Jul 1940
          Discharge Date:13 Jul 1946



          Here are some Muster Rolls




          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of Walter Paul Jerrell
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Sowieralski,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that may include the muster rolls listing Walter Paul Jerrell. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Ancestry has digitized records Muster Rolls/Personnel Diaries (crew rosters) of U.S. Naval Ships and Stations for the dates of January 1,1941 thru January 1, 1949 and can be viewed online at U.S., World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949. The copies of the muster rolls available through Ancestry are name searchable. There may be a fee for this service. Instead, you may wish to check with your local public or university library as these institutions often provide free access to Ancestry.com.


            For the most complete record of his service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

            1 person found this helpful