2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2021 12:33 PM by Robin Brown

Seeking letter carrier with Badge Number 300

Robin Brown Newbie

I am seeking the identity of a US Post Office letter carrier with the Badge Number 300 in Cleveland, Ohio, between 1909-1953. This is for genealogical research.

• Re: Seeking letter carrier with Badge Number 300
          Charleen Vocca Adventurer

Dear Ms. Brown,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the NARA catalog and located the following records regarding U.S. Post Office Letter Carriers in the Records of the Post Office Department (Record Group 28) from the time frame you are seeking.  They are not likely to have letter carriers identified by badge numbers, but may provide clues for your search. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

The following link, from Western Reserve Historical Society’s OHIOLinkFinding Aid Repository, Finding aid for the National Association of Letter Carriers, Branch 40 Records might be helpful to you.  While the collection does not specifically contain lists of assigned badge numbers, it does contain records pertaining to letter carriers in the time frame you are seeking.  For more information, please email them at http://www.wrhs.org.

Finally, we suggest you review the information regarding postal badges that may be of interest to you from the Smithsonian, Service Badges and from the U.S. Postal Service’s website, Letter Carriers’ Uniform: Badges

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck in your family research!

• Re: Seeking letter carrier with Badge Number 300
              Robin Brown Newbie

Thank you for your response.  I will follow up.

I had already contacted Western Reserve HS but they are under construction with no research available until late September.

I also wrote to

National Archives & Records Administration                                                                      

ATTN: Archival Programs

1. P.O. Box 38757
              2. St. Louis, MO 63138

on  Feb 23, 2021 with no response yet.  I suppose they are closed for covid.

I appreciate every suggestion!  This information should divulge the name of my grandfather, for which I have searched for 47 yrs.

Thank you,

Robin Brown