3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2021 2:27 PM by Charlie Busch

    Seeking service number of Robert Brumbeloe

    Jeffrey Campbell Newbie

      Hello, I'm seeking information for my Mother in-law. She was married to Robert Arnold Brumbeloe PFC 21st Marines USMC. PFC Brumbeloe was KIA in February 1945 on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan.  My mother in-law Alice Nurss (correct spelling) is presently residing in assistant leaving and has recently found that she is entitled to assistance based on PFC Brumbeloe's service and status through the VA. To proceed she needs his service number. Can anyone assist me in tracking down this information. Thank you in advance

        • Re: Seeking service number of Robert Brumbeloe
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information including his service number.


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking service number of Robert Brumbeloe
            Charlie Busch Adventurer

            Dear Mr. Campbell,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Navy and Marine Corps Casualty Records , 1940 - 1989 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that may include a file for Robert A. Brumbeloe. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. The file should include his service number.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. The file should include his service number.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!