2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2021 10:10 AM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking military service record of Benjamin Lewis

Ruth Grieco Newbie

Good morning, I would like to know how I can obtain the military service record for a relative who served in WWII. The information I have is as follows:  NAME: Benjamin Lewis,-  Rank  Army PFC - DOB Mar 12, 1925  Enlisted April 12, 1943  -  one piece of information I found was that he was discharged on Nov. 21, 1945 and in a document I found from the Bureau of War Records, National Jewish Welfare Board, Benjamin was listed as missing in action (source of information was listed as NYT 1-20-46.  Can you please let me know how to find out what the correct story is. Thank you so very much. I look forward to your reply.

• Re: Seeking military service record of Benjamin Lewis
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Grieco,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) that may include his MIA information. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We suggest that you review the New York State Department of Health website for how to obtain a copy of the death certificate for Benjamin Lewis who died in Hartsdale (Westchester), New York.

You also may wish to search the New York Times Article Archive for a copy of the article that appeared in the newspaper on January 20, 1946.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking military service record of Benjamin Lewis
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ruth,

This is the Card you were referencing correct? He actually he had 2 separate cards "Missing" and "Prisoner of War" Please check the address on both I have provided on the cards. Then look at the A.S.N # 12220917. This is cooorect then it matched with the AAD database on NARA pertaining to his Prisoner of War status, which I posted near the bottom.

Looks like you may have this info already but here is the VA BIRLS Index

Name:Benjamin Lewis
            Birth Date:12 Mar 1925
            Death Date:31 Jan 1993
            Cause of Death:Natural
            SSN:098167005
            Enlistment Branch:ARMY
            Enlistment Date:12 Apr 1943
            Discharge Date:21 Nov 1945

This information I found shows a enlistment date of Mar 10 1943 are you firm on that date of April 12 1943? The information listed here is identical to the man because Army serial #s match.

Event Type:Military Service
            Name:Benjamin Lewis
            Event Date:10 Mar 1943
            Event Place:New York City, New York, United States
            Marital Status:Single, without dependents
            Race:White
            Citizenship Status:citizen
            Birth Year:1925
            Birthplace:NEW YORK
            Education Level:4 years of high school
            Civilian Occupation:Foremen, manufacturing
            Military Rank:Private
            Army Branch:Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
            Army Component:Reserves - exclusive of Regular Army Reserve and Officers of the Officers Reserve Corps on active duty under the Thomason Act (Officers and Enlisted Men -- O.R.C. and E.R.C., and Nurses-Reserve Status)
            Source Reference:Civil Life
            Serial Number:12220197
            Affiliate ARC Identifier:1263923
            Box Film Number:01051.98

NARA AAD POW Information

Field TitleValueMeaning
            SERIAL NUMBER1222019712220197
            NAMELEWIS BENJAMINLEWIS BENJAMIN
            GRADE, ALPHAPFCPrivate First Class
            GRADE CODE7Second Lieutenant or Nurse or Dietitian or Physical therapy aide or Private First Class or Ensign or Second Class, Seaman
            SERVICE CODE1ARMY
            ARM OR SERVICEINFInfantry
            ARM OR SERVICE CODE10INF: INFANTRY
            DATE REPORT: DAY (DD)0303
            DATE REPORT: MONTH (MM)1212
            DATE REPORT: YEAR (Y)41944
            RACIAL GROUP CODE1WHITE
            STATE OF RESIDENCE
            TYPE OF ORGANIZATION740Branch Immaterial/Infantry Division Band/Dental Corps/Medical Department
            PARENT UNIT NUMBER04150415
            PARENT UNIT TYPE06Group/Regiment/Commands/System
            AREA72European Theatre: Germany
            LATEST REPORT DATE: DAY (DD)0101
            LATEST REPORT DATE: MONTH (MM)0606
            LATEST REPORT DATE: YEAR (Y)51945
            SOURCE OF REPORT1Individual has been reported through sources considered official.
            STATUS8Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated
            DETAINING POWER1GERMANY
            CAMP045Oflag 64 or 21B Schubin (Moved to Usedom) Poland, Altburgund 53-17
            REP

1 person found this helpful