3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2021 10:15 AM by Lisha Penn

Looking for primary source mentioned in article on Freedmen's Bureau Papers

Blake Wintory Newbie

A 2006 article in the Washington Post, "Recording the Former Slaves' Emancipation; National Archives Opens Freedmen's Bureau Papers," begins with an anecdote about James Kelley:

In the late 1860s James Kelley, a man living in Chicot County, Ark., wrote to the Freedmen's Bureau asking for help in finding his children. Like thousands of black families, they had been separated during the Civil War. The bureau found them on a plantation near Waco, Tex.

I've tried searching transcriptions of the Freedmen's Bureau Papers in FamilySearch and the Smithsonian's project, but I cannot find the original records for James Kelley's request. ["Kelley" is sometimes spelled "Kelly"] I suspect, someone at NARA provided the author with this example, but I don't know where to look for a ca. 2006 press kit. An email to NARA went unanswered.

Jacqueline Trescott, "Recording the Former Slaves' Emancipation; National Archives Opens Freedmen's Bureau Papers," January 14, 2006, Washington Post.