4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2021 4:07 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking how Staff Sergeant Louis Mingione was killed

    andrew prudente Newbie

      We would like to know how Staff Sergeant Louis E. Mingione was killed in action during WWII. We think he was killed in action in Germany and if you can supply any additional details for our family.  His service number was 32000603 and he enlisted on 6/1/1941 and he was born in 1918. We believe he was killed in 1945 according to family verbal information. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking how Staff Sergeant Louis Mingione was killed
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information below.  I would also suggest obtaining his IDPFs Individual Deceased Personnel File you can obtain through the following.


          The specific information you seek may be contained in your relative’s Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          For the IDPFs of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.



          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking how Staff Sergeant Louis Mingione was killed
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Prudente,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            In addition to the IDPFs suggested by Mr. Schneider, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            With the unit information from the IDPF or the OMPF, you may be interested in reviewing unit journals and after action reports about the activities of his unit at the time of his death. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of many of the Army units that served during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!