5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2021 3:45 AM by Shelby McFarland

Seeking records of the Daniel Dennis family

Shelby McFarland Wayfarer

Hi! Looking for Information on an early descendant of Georgia - possible parentage, and/or linkage to his potential participation in War of 1812, or more. His name is Daniel Dennis (born 1797) was married in Wrightsborough, GA in 1818 to Mary L "Polly" Slade (not sure where 'L Polly' came from - is on various Ancestry trees) Estimates of Birth are 1797, is in connection to Warren, GA - Sumter GA. Their children are as follows:

My ancestor is that of Charles Westbrook, records indicate that he may have married a Mary McDuffie, or McDuffey - or Charles simply didn't know the parentage of his mother's line when she passed. Or it may have been in error, one of the towns that Warren, GA changed into was McDuffie, GA. Charles was born as one of the last children that is given for the two individuals, in a family Bible record someone listed on one of the Ancestry websites, it gives names/dates of children, deaths, and of Daniel and Mary - so I do not believe him to have remarried.

Other Dennis lines in the area, that I am not sure if they are connected or not are that of John Dennis, Jacob Dennis, Isaac Dennis, and Abraham Dennis. These were individuals who received land grants in GA around the same time. I am not sure if they are in connection with those that migrated to areas near Warren, GA - that are associated with John Maddock and Rachel Dennis / Quakers in Wrightsborough Township. It is said that the town was created in reference to quakers but they allowed other people as well. There is one other Daniel Dennis that appears on Census records around that time, but he does not appear to be old enough to be his parent. May be a sibling's child or something of the like.. I'm not sure.

I am not an avid genealogist, I have been working on this and stuck for many years off/on and in memory of my late grandfather who just recently passed and I have gotten back into it, it is something I have really set my mind into solving. The battle of kettle creek is said to have occurred near "Dennis Mill" ; I cannot find much about them otherwise; but have seen that Elijah Clarke and others may have met there for meetings in reference to the "hornet's nest".

Any information on parentage/ and or war participation would be fantastic. I am stuck, and therefore any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated. It is something that my grandfather always wished to know, but in the time of his research records were much more limited. My access to what files they do have is unfortunately limited, and they are very old having very limited tech knowledge to pass on anything that may be of use in solving.

Two sources: Early Warren CO marriages - http://files.usgwarchives.net/ga/warren/vitals/marriages/marriages1800.txt This lists a "daniel denniss" with nancy breed, among others - https://www.thenandchange.org/Genealogy/Reunion_Database/ps01/ps01_126.html Daniel Dennis and Mary Slade. I think Priscilla Dennis is born around the same time as he / Daniel Dennis being born 1797. Priscilla Married Robert Armstrong just a few years before he.

A document on the Hancock County, Georgia USGenWeb archive lists Dennis family marriages in Hancock County during the period 1805-1860:

Dennis Marriages in Hancock Co., Ga. , 1805-1860, from various sources:

Dennis, Daniel & Mary Slade Nov 29, 1818

Isaac, Jr. & Sally Whittington Mar 6, 1806

Jesse & Elizabeth Amerson Nov 4, 1852

John & Margaret (Marguerite) Dennis Dec 9, 1814

William & Sally Thompson Aug 1, 1814

William & Martha Burgamy Nov 1858

Dennis & Betheny Thomas Dudley Feb 16, 1837

Elizabeth & Abel Barnes Nov 26, 1817

Leah & William Roach Aug 7, 1816

Malinda & Dudley Simmons Sept 15, 1825

Margaret & John Dennis Dec 9, 1814

Martha & Joseph Logue Sept 3, 1850

Mary & F. Thomas Elsberry Dickens July 15, 1858

Matilda & Mitchell Worsham Aug 12, 1824

Nancy & Nathaniel Glytoe Feb 26, 1809

Polly & Britain Perry Nov 25, 1806

Sarah & George Ernest Jan 22, 1807

There were many land/county changes during this time, on top of early records being spotty in access. I would love to know absolutely anything people may uncover and would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

• Re: Seeking records of the Daniel Dennis family
          Paul Edwin Hendee Wayfarer

Hello Shelby:

You may want to go to:  https://www.fold3.com/  to search for many of the people listed.  Fold3 is an arm of ancestry.com that focuses on the military.  If you do not have a registration, some public libraries will have a free link for you.

Best of Luck,

P. Hendee

Zachary Dabbs Adventurer

Dear Shelby McFarland,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you contact the Georgia Archives to request a search for birth, marriage, and death certificates.  You may wish to note any name variants or broaden your search for the surrounding years. In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for Georgia Vital Records may be helpful.

Regarding your ancestor’s potential military service, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Indexes to the Carded Records of Soldiers Who Served in Volunteer Organizations During the War of 1812 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that include a file for a Daniel Dennis but from New York. We also located the series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the War of 1812 in Record Group 94 and the series War of 1812 Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that have been largely digitized and made available through the Catalog. We did not find a file unit for a Daniel Dennis in Georgia online; however while many of these records have been digitized there are some that have not.

In addition, we located the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 and Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 (M233) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that include military service files of the Regular Army.  M233 has been digitized and is available on Fold3 as Army Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; on Ancestry as U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; and on FamilySearch as United States Registers of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

For more information about these series and any non-digitized records they may contain, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, we suggest that you review NARA’s Resources for Genealogists, as well as the History Hub Blog titled Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers. Also, the FamilySearch Research wiki for United States Genealogy and NARA’s War of 1812 resources web page may be useful.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Hi Zachary, thank you so much for your response

The most solid indication I have for Daniel Dennis is that of his marriage with Mary Slade Nov 27, 1818, it is suggested he was born about 1797 and his death somewhere around 1860.

I believe him to have had some involvement, but his parentage remains at large. Many ancestry trees have pointed towards a John Dennis  & Mary Shephard (Sheppard, Shepherd). It appears that they *may* have been descendants of quakers along with those from the Guilford Orange CO MM with Joseph Maddock/Rachel Dennis, but there is one other line of Dennis' around this timing with almost exact names for children that I am able to indicate.

The marriage of Daniel Dennis and Mary Slade was in Hancock GA - many of the files I have been able to locate on him in what I know transcend to Warren, GA - possibly putnam, lee, and definitively mary with her child Charles W Dennis (my ancestor) in 1850 1860 census, I believe to have most of his children accounted for, but would love to research further -- the colonial records/possible quaker in NC and PENN or GA are where I am struggling with. I have accounted for all the aforementioned individuals in REV service- praying for land in Washington Co, Baldwin, areas of similarity to what I believe to be similar. Richmond is another, praying for Franklin Co.

In In review of material, I have looked at the Hub instruction for further guidance and found more information on ththese individuals, I just cannot seem to link the parentage. The areas seem to be consistent, therefore I believe them to have a connection especially for the time. Any further guidance is fully appreciated.

1850/1860 being that of Sumter CO, it is believed Daniel Dennis passed away during this time but his children and spouse are located here in Sumter GA, I believe another one of their children was active in the war, cannot remember which one.... I have less difficulty in locating their records as I do locating the parentage of Daniel Dennis. He is believed to have been born 1797, Mary around 1802-03 -- thereby I am wondering which way would be best in requesting further records to possibly find more information in those areas.

I have seen quite a handful of colonial records linked in these areas to Sir James Wright, and believe that the Hancock/Wrightsboro relationship may indicate possible linkage to Rachel Dennis/Joseph Maddock - unsure, but brother names match in the location

Jones, GA - Near Gray, GA is another.

A captain daniel dennis of Homer Virgil Milton, I'm not sure if there is an association with the Seminole Wars.

Dennis Mill, Little River (many orig Dennis land grants along here) associated with Kettle Creek/ Dennis Mill, a petition for war from Isaac Dennis/ for Moore and John Dennis to work on restoration of the Mill.

among many others

I am not quite sure beyond Bible records where these may lie, other than probate records, possibly?