4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 7:51 AM by Mary Teter

Finding birth counties

Hello, I have a question. I am attempting to track down some ancestors. I have little to no information on them.

My question is, how can I find out which counties they were born in? The census documents I have looked at do not list "birth counties" just the birth state. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day.

• Re: Finding birth counties
          Rebecca Collier Scout

Thank you for contacting the History Hub! Depending on the time period, you may be able to determine where and when a relative was born. The National Center for Health Statistics has a web page titled "Where to Write for Vital Records" (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/index.htm) that is arranged by state. When you click on the state, contact information is given for four types of vital records -- birth, death, marriage & divorce. Hopefully, the web site will give you ideas where to look of the information you seek.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            J Richards Wayfarer

If you are looking for the birth records of your ancestors you have to understand that birth certificates were not issued for the most part until the beginning of 20th century with some states (primarily in the South) not issuing them until the 1920s. Townships in New England were exception with birth registrations being recorded much earlier. Prior to birth certificates and registrations one has to depend on church records for baptisms and christenings to identify a birth location and approximate birth date. That being said, there are two websites to look for these birth and baptism records. The first is in the records section of familysearch.org (free genealogy website operated by the LDS Church) where there are over 2000 databases of state and local records (many with digitized original images) that might provide you this information for free. The other is on Ancestry.com which is a contract database that many people pay for at home (I don't recommend this), but whose Ancestry.com Library edition is available in many public libraries. Check with your local library to see if they provide this database.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Thank you I have trees on both sites & neither so far has been able to provide me with much more information. That's an interesting idea, I will have to look into that one as well. thank you.

The main problem I am running into is there seem to be multiple people who were born the same year, same state, similar names, but different counties with different parents.

If any of that makes sense.