1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 16, 2021 10:32 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking SC Freedmen's Bureau Letter from Zed Reaves

Delaina Jones Newbie

I am hoping someone can help me with this research question. I found a letter written in Nov. 1866 by H.W. Smith on behalf of Major Gen. R. K. Scott, that was addressed to my relative Zed Reaves. I found this on FamilySearch under the (Records of the Assistant Commissioner for the state of South Carolina, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1865-1870 : NARA, RG105, M869) (Letters sent 1865-1867. (NARA Series M869, Roll 1)) collection. In the letter, Smith is giving information on emigration to Liberia and mentions forwarding Zed Reaves' letter to Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard. I have been trying to find the initial letter written by Zed Reaves but haven't had any success. Can anyone possibly direct me as to which collection I might find the original letter written by Zed Reaves. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking SC Freedmen's Bureau Letter from Zed Reaves
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Jones,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located and Registers of Letters Received, 7/1865 - 10/1870 of the Assistant Commissioner of South Carolina in the Records of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (Record Group 105) that may list the letter you seek. The registers are part of M869. We also located Letters Received, 3/1865 - 6/1872 and the Registers of Letters Received, 5/1865-7/1872 of the Office of the Commissioner in Record Group 105 that may include the letter forwarded to Commissioner Oliver Otis Howard. For more information about the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. Include a copy of the letter from Letters Sent, 6/1865 - 1/1870 (M869, Roll 1) in your request as well as ask for a search of the letter from Reaves in both registers. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!