3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2021 9:15 AM by Jason Atkinson

Looking for General Order 26 of Headquarters, 36th Infantry Division

Jeffrey LIghtsey Newbie

I am looking for General Order No. 26 of Headquarters, 36th Infantry Division that was published on or around 30 November 1943.  I am trying to show that the 133rd Regimental Field Artillery Band and the 142nd Infantry Regimental Band of the 36th Infantry Division were reorganized and combined to make the 36th Infantry Division Band, Texas Army National Guard.  I am the current Commander of that unit.  I have oral history and the diary of the unit 1SG from WWII, just trying to find something published.  I appreciate any feedback!

• Re: Looking for General Order 26 of Headquarters, 36th Infantry Division
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Chief Warrant Officer Lightsey,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office (Record Group 407) that includes General Order (GO) No. 26 (1943) of the 36th Infantry Division. We included an image of it for your use.

The citation for the document is as follows:  Headquarters 36th Infantry Division, General Orders No. 26, November 30 1943; 336-1.13 General Orders No. 1-55, 36th Infantry Division, 1943; World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948; Records of the Adjutant General's Office, Record Group 407; National Archives at College Park, MD.

We hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful
              Jeffrey LIghtsey Newbie

Jason,

Thanks so much!  This is great!  I got the lead on this from my unit 1SG from WWII.  He has passed now, but gave me his diary and much more; I have been trying to get all this on digits and recorded.

The 36th ID Band's lineage does not include the 142nd Infantry Regiment, which served in WWI.  I am not sure how these things work, but the gentlemen at the Army Department of History told me I needed proof to update, so here is the beginnings of that.  I would love to send you a couple of things; I am sure you are busy.  Not sure how to attach things here.

The morning reports mentioned in GO. 26; would they be located in the same place?

THANKS - this is fun!

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Chief Warrant Officer Lightsey,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

The World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in Record Group 407 includes additional records of the 36th Infantry Division and its subordinate units.  Typical records include such things as unit histories, after action reports, operation reports, journals, general orders, and intelligence reports.  Another record series that may be of interest is the Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 32 files relating to the 36th Infantry Division. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Since these record series do not include the morning reports, morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). RL-SL also has copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 for Army units. For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

History Hub does not support attaching files other than embedding images in your reply. The post How to add a picture to your post or comment provides instructions for doing this.

If you have not already done so, we suggest you contact the Texas Military Forces Museum.  The museum has holdings relating to the 36th Infantry Division and may also be interested in accepting donations of original or copies of any historical materials you have concerning your unit.  The Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Division also may be able to assist you.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!