5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2021 1:38 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking records of Martin Hannegraf

Laura Agus Wayfarer

Hi among the personal objects of my maternal grandmother I found  identification card US Force European theater

Identification card no F 23409

Issuing agenzy Hqs 10th Field Hospital APO 225 US ARMY

Name Martin Eugene Hannegraf

Grade ASN   rct RA 17 237 701

Rank branch  Capt  MSC

Someone a little help me to decipher it I would need to understand the rank and the base of duty in the photo should be my mother's biological father thanks to anyone who can help me in this search

• Re: Seeking records of Martin Hannegraf
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Laura,

Here is some additional information. Here were he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/748764/martin-eugene-hannegraf

Name:Martin Eugene Hannegraf
          Birth Date:26 Jun 1924
          Death Date:3 May 1983
          Enlistment Branch:NAVY
          Enlistment Date:15 Oct 1942
          Discharge Date:1 Nov 1945

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of Martin Hannegraf
            Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Agus,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Annual Reports,1940 - 1949 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) that include records of the 10th Field Hospital during WWII. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the Headquarters (Hqs), 10th Field Hospital during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. From the information you provided, he served as a captain in the Medical Service Corps (MSC). The hospital received mail through Army Post Office (APO) Number 225.

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. His Regular Army (RA) Service Number is 17 237 701 and RCT may indicate Reserve Counterpart Training or possibly Radiation Control Technician.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful