1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2021 10:35 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking information and records of Donald A Kilburg

    Homer Hodge Newbie

      I am seeking information on assignments, awards, and overseas service of Donald A. Kilburg who entered the Army in 1940 and may have retired in early 1960s. During World War II, he was assigned to the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 11th Airborne Division. This information is sought as part of an historical research project.

        • Re: Seeking information and records of Donald A Kilburg
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

          Dear Mr. Hodge,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes one file related to Kilburg, Donald A. You may use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of his OMPF. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 3 images related to the 511th Parachute Infantry that have been digitized and can be viewed in the Catalog. You may contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov with any questions about these records.


          Next, we located 4 films related to the 511th Parachute Infantry that may be relevant to your research. Most of these films have been digitized and can be viewed online via the Catalog. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSS) at mopix@nara.gov for additional assistance with these records.


          We also located the series Guerilla Unit Recognition Files, 1941-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that contains 17 references to the "511th Parachute" and 9 references to the "511th Airborne". You may view these digitized records online in the Catalog. 


          Plus, we located the series Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 3 files related to the 511th Airborne Infantry Regiment during the 1940s and 1950s that might be of interest to you. The series World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in Record Group 407 that includes records of the 11th Airborne Division, 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS, RDSM, and RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!