2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2021 2:08 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records and awards for Carl Fox


      Looking for information from my great uncle's service in WWI Army.  He received awards for service in battle.  He was Carl E Fox from Ohio Expeditionary Force and his DOB 4/17/1892.  Any help would be appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking military records and awards for Carl Fox
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information. Here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/26956938/carl-e.-fox


          Also is a copy of the VA Index Card





          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records and awards for Carl Fox
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Crisman,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            For former Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Army department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


            If the information that Mr. Schneider located for you is for the correct Carl E. Fox, then his service number is 1936775, his date entered is 9/18/1917, and his date released is 4/15/1919.  Please include this information on the SF-180.  You also may wish to attach the “Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marine, World War 19179-1918” listing for him which identifies his units, in case it is necessary for NPRC to use auxiliary records such as morning reports to provide proof of service.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records of the 1st Through 338th and the 559th Infantry Regiment, 1916-1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that include the records of the 329th, 38th, and 338th Infantry Regiments during WWI. We also located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the files of the 83rd Division, 3rd Division, and 85th Divisions to which the previously listed infantry regiments were assigned. While unit records do not necessarily have information about each individual in the unit, they may provide additional information about the activities of the unit as a whole.  For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of the various companies he was assigned to.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the  regiment.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!