2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2021 9:20 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Civil War Union soldier military records of John Jones

    Nancy Dreyfuss Newbie

      Seeking Civil War Union soldier military records of Virginian, John R Jones. Did he receive a land grant in Kentucky? Was my Great Grandfather Cecil N. Jones his descendant?

        • Re: Seeking Civil War Union soldier military records of John Jones
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          If I'm not mistaken Virginia was a confederate state, and not divided. There is plenty of John Jones records but in the confederacy state of Virginia. Do you have anymore information on any of these two individuals you are seeking.


          DOB, place of births?


          Lastly, Civil War veterans were not offer Bounties for land or land grants based upon military service for civil war veterans. Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and Mexican War


          But bounty land was not the only type of Federal land grants.  The government offered land through more than 40 legislative initiatives, including the Cash Act (1820), Preemption acts (1830s–1840s), Donation Act (1850), Homestead Act (1862), Mineral acts (1860s–1870s), Timber Culture Act (1873), Desert Land Act (1877), among others.

          Veterans of the Civil War were not offered Bounty Land.  However, many Civil War veterans had fought in earlier war(s) and were eligible for bounty land based on that earlier service.

          It was also common for Union veterans to apply for land grants through the Homestead Act of 1862, for instance. (Confederate veterans did not qualify). So if your Union veteran ancestor mysteriously moved to one of the western territories after the war, there’s a good chance that he did so under the terms of the Homestead Act of other Federal land grant.

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Civil War Union soldier military records of John Jones
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Dreyfuss,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the American Civil War in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that include/may include a file for John R Jones if he was in a volunteer unit. Some of these records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog.


            We also located the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 and Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 (M233) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that include military service files of the Regular Army. 


            M233 has been digitized and is available on Fold3 as Army Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; on Ancestry as U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; and on FamilySearch as United States Registers of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


            Furthermore, we located the series Letters Received, 1863 - 1917 (documenting 1850 - 1917) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94)  that includes letters, reports, and papers relating to the military service of officers of the Regular Army, officers of Volunteers in the Staff Corps commissioned by the President, and officers commissioned by brevet appointment in the Regular Army and Volunteer organizations. Portions of these series have been digitized and are available using the Catalog.


            For more information about the service records mentioned above, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.


            Please note that the Civil War era military service records in NARA custody would not provide information about family members of the soldier. If the soldier or his dependents received a pension, the pension files may have information about their widows or orphans. 

            The majority of Civil War pension files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). There are also 3 record series (XC files) in Record Group 15 at the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) that include claims files relating to Civil War Veterans.  These records were transferred to the National Archives in 1952 and 1955 from the VA. Please email both RDT1 at archives1reference@nara.gov and RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov with full details about the soldier you are researching.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Civil War pension files may be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs if they were still active in 1955 when the inactive files were transferred to the National Archives.  If both RDT1 and RL-SL have already informed you that they do not have the file, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov.


            From 1788 to 1855, the War Department granted bounty land warrants as a reward for military service. Pensions were given to Civil War soldiers as part of their compensation for military service instead of land. See Pre-World War I U.S. Army Pension and Bounty Land Applications for more information.


            The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (CWSS) is a database containing information about the men who served in the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. We searched the CWSS and located 15 results for Confederate soldiers with that name from Virginia and 60 results for Union soldiers with that name, none of whom are listed as serving in a Virginia affiliated unit. 

            Because this is an exceptionally common name, it may not be possible to locate the correct files without further information, such as which unit the soldier served in, whether the soldier was regular army or a volunteer, whether the soldier was an officer or enlisted, whether the soldier was a part of the US Colored Troops, etc.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!