2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2021 9:39 AM by Charlie Busch

    Seeking military records of father

    Roy Anderson Newbie

      My Mother and Father separated shortly after my birth in 1944. I have my father's dog tags, but no social security no. etc. He was in the Army Air-Corp stationed at a base near Brownwood, TX.  (The city showing on my birth certificate). I have his dog tags, which include his Mother's name and address (in 1944) and his service number.  I believe he was deceased in 1996 or 1998 in Virginia Beach, VA.  I'm looking for clues as to whether I may have siblings I'm not aware of. His Military records might be helpful, especially if he had VA insurance or benefits that went to someone?  Any help would be appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking military records of father
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have a name for the individual you are seeking name, DOB, place of birth?

          • Re: Seeking military records of father
            Charlie Busch Adventurer

            Dear Mr. Anderson,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We suggest that you contact the Virginia Division of Vital Records to request a search for his death certificate.  You may wish to check the local newspapers such as The Virginian Pilot for an obituary. Obituaries often list next of kin.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!