1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 9, 2021 1:56 PM by Jason Atkinson

    How to find my father's maritime records?

    Willie Fisher Newbie

      I am trying to find my fathers Maritime records from when he was a seaman.

        • Re: How to find my father's maritime records?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Fisher,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The Merchant Marine Personnel and Licensing Records dated before 1968 in the Records of the U.S. Coast Guard (Record Group 26) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.govInclude the name, date of birth, dates of service, "Z" number, and date of death, if known, in your email.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Persons requesting Merchant Marine personnel service jackets for 1968 to the present should write to the USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-421), ATTN: Correspondence Section, 100 Forbes Drive, Martinsburg, WV 25404.  Please include name, date of birth, copy of death certificate if deceased, Social Security number, address, and Z or Service number.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!