1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 9, 2021 7:35 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking records of the Bureau of Animals Industry

STEPHEN HOSMER Newbie
      I am not sure if you can help me. I know that in the early 1900's the building that stands in Norwood Park, in Bethesda, MD was the headquarters of the Bureau of Animal Industry.  I believe they moved out of the building in 1937.  What kind of historical information do you have on the government agency? I would be looking for some information about what the agency did then at that location.  Also having some pictures to see would be good too.  If you had any other links that would good too to see. Thank you

• Re: Seeking records of the Bureau of Animals Industry
          Rachael Salyer Navigator

Dear Mr. Hosmer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 5 file units and 6 series of records in the Records of the Bureau of Animal Industry (Record Group 17) that related to Maryland. We also searched for records related to Bethesda or Norwood Park within Record Group 17, but those searches did not yield any results. These records have not been digitized.  Please contact the National Archives reference unit listed in each Catalog description for assistance with these records. You may wish to conduct your own search for other keywords or topics within Record Group 17 using the Advanced Search feature of the Catalog.

We also located 15 series related to the Bureau of Animal Industry in the Records of the Agricultural Marketing Service (Record Group 136) and 12 series related to the Bureau of Animal Industry in the Records of the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture (Record Group 16) that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives reference unit listed in each Catalog description for assistance with these records.

Finally, a general overview of Record Group 17 is located in the National Archives Guide to Federal Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from each NARA reference unit. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!