7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2021 11:00 PM by Stephanie Kaliszewski

Seeking birth certificate for Carrie Palermo & Military records of Anthony Williams

Stephanie Kaliszewski Wayfarer

Hi there! Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I’m hoping someone with more experience might be able to help me. I’m trying to find birth records for my 2nd great grandmother Carrie Williams (maiden name Palermo) born April 1884 in New York City and her husband Anthony Williams born in January 1883 in Elizabeth, NJ. Carrie’s parents and Anthony’s parents were all born in Italy according to Census records, and my ultimate goal is to find where in Italy they came from.

For Carrie, her Italian name was Carmela according to her parents’ will. I reached out to the New York City Municipal Archives and they’ve found no birth records for Carrie or Carmela Palermo. Her father was Nicola Palermo born around 1852 in Italy and mother was Maria/Marie Pacelli born around 1852 in Italy (Italian name is Marianna according to the will). Carrie’s parents immigrated to the US sometime between 1878-1880, and they brought with them 2 children that were born in Italy. Carrie was their first child born in the US according to Census records. Carrie eventually married Anthony Williams in May of 1904 in Manhattan, but they lived and raised their family on Staten Island. Carrie died 3/17/74 on Staten Island and I was able to find her death certificate, but the only other alternate name listed was Carrie T. Williams.

For Anthony, he served in the Navy for 4 years during the Spanish American war. According to my grandmother he lied about his age so he could join the military, which I was able to verify according to Census records. What has been consistent is that he was born in January 1883 in New Jersey. I reached out to the New Jersey State Archives and they’ve found no records. My grandmother also mentioned that one side of the family changed their names so maybe that’s why I’m not finding anything on him. Anthony died 9/18/1960 on Staten Island and I was able to find his death certificate, but there is no other information on his family other than his father’s name was Frank and mom’s name was Marion - no last names listed.  What’s interesting is his parents names were listed as Frank Williams and Mary Ann Arato on his marriage license, but again I can’t find anything on them either.

I’ve been searching for over a year and a half and I’m at a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Stephanie