3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2021 10:54 AM by Paul Edwin Hendee

    Seeking any information on Douglas Pierson

    Kimberly Mcclellan Newbie

      Seeking any information on Douglas Pierson from Muskegon, Michigan. Ottawa Indian

        • Re: Seeking any information on Douglas Pierson
          Alice Lane Pioneer

          Hi Kimberly,

          Welcome to History Hub


          Found Douglas on findagrave.com along with other family members.

          Douglas Frankie Pierson (1917-1985) - Find A Grave Memorial

          Can you be more specific about what you are seeking. Thanks

          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: Seeking any information on Douglas Pierson
            Robert Crumley Adventurer

            Dear Ms. Mcclellan,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Douglas Pierson in Michigan. The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.


            You may wish to search Ancestry or FamilySearch for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


            We also located 53 series in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that pertain to the Ottawa tribe. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the NARA reference unit listed in the series description.


            As the previous poster indicated, he served in the Army Medical Corps during WWII. We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and other NARA reference units. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            For more genealogy research resources, we suggest that you review the National Archives web pages titled Resources for Genealogists, the Census Records, and the Native American Records in the National Archives. You also may wish to search the FamilySearch wiki for Michigan, especially for Muskegon County.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


            1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking any information on Douglas Pierson
              Paul Edwin Hendee Wayfarer

              Hello Kimberly:

              I found this on fold3.com (a military records site of Ancestry) and I took a screen shot.  seems to match up with the information you gave: