2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2021 11:43 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking prisoner of war record for James Melton Sparks

    Dawn Mcnease Newbie

      Seeking Records of a prisoner of war in the Philippines. Also how to obtain replacement medals information and any other pertinent information. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking prisoner of war record for James Melton Sparks
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Can you provide additional information on him. DOB, place of birth

          • Re: Seeking prisoner of war record for James Melton Sparks
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Mcnease,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            For former Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Army department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


            We searched the files of the World War II Prisoners of War Data File, 12/7/1941-11/19/1946 and the World War II Prisoners of the Japanese File, 2007 Update, ca. 1941 - ca. 1945 in the  Access to Archival Databases (AAD) but were unable to locate a data file for James Melton Sparks as a POW during WWII.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Subject Files, 1942 - 1946 of the American Prisoner of War Information Bureau in the Records of the Office of the Provost Marshal General (Record Group 389) that include lists of American POWs held by Japan which may have a listing for James Melton Sparks. For more information about the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!