3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2021 7:28 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military & hospital records for cousin

    Gail Denker Newbie

      Hello, My cousin was killed in action in the Korean War. There are no family members alive anymore and the few that are don't have or know any information. How can I get information and medical records on my cousin? Where do I start and who can I contact?

        • Re: Seeking military & hospital records for cousin
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Can you provide additional information on the individual you are seeking, name, DOB, place of birth.

          • Re: Seeking military & hospital records for cousin
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Denker,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched NARA’s Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the Records of Military Personnel Who Died as a Result of Hostilities During the Korean War database in the Records of the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Record Group 330) that includes a file pertaining to US Army Private Martin J. Hoffman (Service Number 12345616).  


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. Use the date of death (06/08/1951) as his “Date Released” and 12345616 as his service number. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Additionally, we suggest you request his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!