5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 5:56 AM by kb8yes

Need a color picture of General Henry H. Arnold's flag while he was serving as Air Corps Chief?

I am looking for a color picture of a flag that is on the side of Gen Arnold's aircraft, a Douglas C-41, back in 1938 while he served as Chief of the Air Corps. I do have a black and white picture but we need more detail. I am a friend of the new owner of  his airplane but the flag on the side now does not match the one in the photo.

Please bare with me as I am new to this web site.

Thank you.

Larry Furrow

• Re: Need a color picture of General Henry H. Arnold's flag while he was serving as Air Corps Chief?
          Alan Walker Scout

Hi Larry,

Have you checked with our Still Picture unit? Please send your question to stillpix@nara.gov.

There might be such a photo among the records of the Army Air Forces (Record Group 18) or the U.S. Air Force (Record Group 342).

• Re: Need a color picture of General Henry H. Arnold's flag while he was serving as Air Corps Chief?

Hi again Allen

Saw that you replied again tonight. I did get in contact with a person at still pixs. She said they would do a search and it might take two to four weeks which is ok by me. The other evening the new owner of Hap  Arnold's airplane found an Air Corps Chief insignia on an military web site. It is very close to the one in the black and white photo with a small difference to the ribbon design. The background color is orange/red but most Air Corps insignias backgrounds are dark blue so we have to sort out that issue. We will wait and see what the still pics group can find before proceeding with a final rendering.

Thanks again.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Alex Daverede Adventurer

Larry,

You may want to check with the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.  They probably have several portraits of Arnold, and flag officers usually like to have their flag in the portrait.  That Chief of Air Corps flag should be on the C-41.

I have seen a portrait of Arnold as a three-star with his flag in the background, although I can't say whether the flag is similar in design to the prewar Chief flag.  The background color for the three star flag was dark blue.

2 of 2 people found this helpful

Hi Alex

Thanks for the reply.

To begin I am a 28 year volunteer at the National Museum of the USAF. After 9/11 the museum changed their outsider research policy since the research facility is on the active side of the base. It was a real pain in the butt getting proper credentials and getting onto the base. The volunteers had to go through the same process. The research division only supports the museum needs especially they have been very busy preparing for the opening of the forth hangar. They really didn't like helping the outside researchers anyway since it took time away from supporting the museum.

In the mean time a friend doing the same research has found a picture of the insignia on the Internet. We still have a background color issue but we can probably solve that problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone