3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2021 10:34 AM by Tracy Skrabut

Foreign Awards Issued to U.S. Soldiers - WW1

John MacDonald Newbie

According to a biography from West Point of my great great grandfather, COL Irvin L. Hunt, he was a recipient of the French Order of the Black Star of Benin (officer) and cited by the Commanding General of the British 4th Army for the Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George.  According to a report to the Secretary of the War Department, dated 1923, 173 soldiers were presented with the French Order of the Black Star of Benin (officer) in WW1 and a total of 81 soldiers received the British Order of St. Michael and St. George.  I'm unsure of which Order of St. Michael and St. George COL Hunt received, but I assume he is one of the 81 soldiers. 

https://history.army.mil/documents/wwi/23awd.htm

I've been in contact with the Awards and Decorations Branch at Army Human Resources Command and was told all records related to foreign awards issued to U.S. service members during WW1 were maintained in the Archives Facility at College Park, MD.  I've been unable to find anything online related to foreign awards.  Is there anyone who can assist me with finding documentation related to the issuance of these awards?

Thanks,

John

• Re: Foreign Awards Issued to U.S. Soldiers - WW1
          John MacDonald Newbie

Here is some additional information related to COL Hunt:

Service Number: 0-762

Enroute to France in May 1918

In June 1918-Assigned to Judge Advocate, 2nd Corps AEF and Assistant to Chief of Operations (G-3), 2nd British Army (Ypres-Mt. Kemmel) and 4th British Army (Somme and Hindenburg Line) - Liaison to British Second Army Headquarters during Ypres and Mt. Kemmel Actions.

In November 1918 until April 1920-Sent to Third Army (German Occupation) in Luxembourg on staff of Army Commander and Commanding General, American Forces in Germany, OIC of Civil Affairs

Elliot Schneider Ranger

John,

IrvinLeland Hunt of Califfornia

Appointed from California, Cadet, United States Military Academy, 15 June 1895 (24)

Second Lieutenant, 19th U. S. Infantry, 15 February 1899

First Lieutenant, 5th U. S. Infantry, 1 June 1900

Transferred to the 19th U. S. Infantry, 29 June 1901

Ivan Leland Hunt was born in California in 1899. He married Annie Butler shortly after graduation from the United States Military Academy in 1899 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant

of Infantry.

He spent the next 3 years in Puerto Rico and the Philippines and was promoted to First Lieutenant.

In 1903, Hunt returned to West Point as an assistant professor of Law and History from 1903-1907. He wrote a pamphlet of instruction on the historical background of the Constitution and made several trips abroad on confidential missions for the government. He had a deep love of history and the philosophy of war and had
            planned to continue this research after his retirement.

He transferred to the Judge Advocate General’s Department in 1916 to conduct a study of the military government’s intervention in Mexico. Before that, he was stationed in the Philippines; traveled to Japan, Korea, and China; and worked with the War Department in the Bureau of Insular Affairs.

He transferred to the Quartermaster Corps and then graduated from the Army War College.

He died unexpectedly in 1934 at the age of 56 at Walter Reed General Hospital and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

He also was OIC of Civil Affairs in the Occupation of Germany he also is listed in the following.https://arsof-history.org/icons/pdf/american_military_government_of_occupied_germany_1918-1920.pdf 

Here is some information on where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/32857804/irvin-leland-hunt

Army Distinguished Service Medal

AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
            DURING World War I
            Service: Army
            Division: 3d Army, American Expeditionary Forces
            GENERAL ORDERS:

War Department, General Orders No. 55 (1920)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Colonel (Infantry) Irvin Leland Hunt, United States Army, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services to the Government of the United States, in a duty of great responsibility during World War I. Colonel Hunt served with conspicuous success as the Officer in Charge of Civil Affairs in the occupied area with the 3d Army and with the American Forces in Germany. With excellent judgment and sound adherence to well-established policies in a field of intricate problems affecting the civil population, he perfected through his wide comprehension of conditions, an effective organization, which contributed materially to the efficiency of those forces.

Larger memorial image loading...

1 person found this helpful
              Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear John,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub. A search of our catalog has returned no specific series dealing solely with Foreign Awards to American Units for WW1, you may be able to find some reference to this in the unit histories for this time period. There series is listed below:

Records of Divisions, ca. 1918 - 1942

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/301641

As not all of these records are digitized online, I might suggest reaching out to our College Park Textual Records division, where these records are held: mailto:Archives2reference@nara.gov

I hope this is helpful in your research!